Thursday, January 25, 2007

Two Perfect Bluebird Days and the Diasbled World Cup

The sun has come out in all its glory for the last two days. It has been about 2 or 3 degrees, and hot work! I had no gloves on and air vents open today. Blerdy helmet is too hot. Even the googles were annoying, definitely taking the tom cruise sunnies tommorrow ala top gun.

The snow is great in the morning, grippy as hell, and powder stashes still on the edges of the groomed tracks. Only on the last two runs it gets a bit choppy. Slushy yesterday in places at the end of the day but still holding up exceptionally well today. Downtown Kimberley is a different story. Looks like a dirt, mud and slippery ice bomb has been dropped all over the city.

I have been focussing on either synch carving or following Scott's tracks. Today we threw in some quick turning drills and I had it good by the end of the first run. Because I am progressing quite quickly we slowed it down a bit and watched the Disabled World Cup for an hour or so in the arvo. It was giant slalom, two runs each competitor, with both times added up for a total. Toby got fourth in the stand up and Shannon crashed so no medals for Australia today. Tommorrow is slalom which will be interesting. There is no downhill this year (at least in this part of North America).

After the races were finished we pushed it up a notch in terms of speed and types of turning. Because I am following Scott about five to ten meters behind, I have to anticipate every move of his. Some turns were long and gradual, then he would chuck in three or four quick turns ending in another long carve. My main problem at this stage is edging on both the downhill AND uphill ski as well as the degree to which I edge. Sometimes I am a little lazy and only half edge, other times I fully edge, but only on my downhill ski.

The great thing I picked up today is the transition between turning, and the movement down to up and vice versa whilst simultaneously changing the center of weight from each downhill ski (according to my turn left to right and vice versa). I really feel alot more confident and can pick up heaps more speed during this transition, where previously transitioning was slowing me down. It was a weird feeling when it clicked, like a light bulb went off in my head. In addition my counter rotating naturally got better, and I started to naturally face the bottom of the hill instead of my upper body leaning slightly uphill. By the end of the day I wanted more and more, but all the others were waiting for me to get into the car...I cant wait for tommorrow to tweak my new found confidence.

Along with these improvements I am learning to ski with a guide alot better. I dont look at anything but Scott's movements. Previously I was in awe of my surrounds and couldnt stop looking at the mountains and the view, now it is heads down bum up and nothing else in my mind other than replicating what my guide is doing. At one point Scott accidently skidded on some ice and I was so focussed on replicating his moves that I started skidding too. We both ended up in a powder stash laughing our heads off. I had words with him!

I am really starting to consider my future now. I need to ski regional races to get into the World Cup races. I need to suceed in World Cup racing to have a chance at the Paralympics. There are a couple of races in Thredbo this year (snow permitting!), so my next step is to try and get into them. Then for the northern hemisphere season 07/08 I might have earnt enough points to be eligible to race in the Disabled World Cup. This would almost a full time occupation, so I wouldnt be able to work and I would need massive sponsorship dollars. Is it worth it?

Of course it farken is worth it! If I dont do it now I will be kicking myself forever for being such a wimp.

One word of advice. If you are ever in Kimberley, never and I mean never, eat at the Golden Inn Chinese Restaurant. I have seen rubber tyres and tennis balls more edible than the food they cooked. Came home and made toasted cheese sandwiches!

Another word of advice. Kimberley is the safest place in the world. Left my wallet with $150 dollars in the pub and realised at the top of the chairlift. I panicked and straightlined all the way down the mountain (did it in about two minutes). It was still there with all the money intact.

Happy Ostraya Day Everyone. Wish I had a Coopers Pale Ale and some vegemite. Drink and eat some for me.


No comments: