Thursday, January 18, 2007

D-day: Farewell Sydney

Geez I am a bad flyer. I am tense and cannot sleep. I watch a movie, read a book, play some games but at no point can I relax. Hopefully I can get an upgrade, that would certainly help. Qantas say that the flight isnt anywhere near full, hopefully I might score the middle four seats so I can stretch out.

Its funny when flying to Europe from Australia it is like flying back in time. We follow the routes our ancestors took to get here. When flying to America or Canada it is completely different. It is like flying into the future. Maybe that is why I am so apprehensive, I dont know what the future holds and I need to make the path mine.

The last few days have been like a dream. Work was really supportive, got lots of goodies and all my team bid me a fond farewell. I am appreciative of my co-workers, they are a top bunch of people and in my work environment, that is very rare.

My fiancee Fluff has been great too. I thought that she would be panicky or a bit upset. But no. She is a pillar of strength! I cant believe how lucky I am sometimes, and I cant believe all the times before I met her where I thought I would never meet someone I would love as much as I love her. In fact I cant wait to get back and marry her. If only society wasnt so focussed on money, I would have married her already.

As for me the nerves are building. The apprehension is growing. The excitment is reaching a crescendo. Will I get disappointed? Will I succeed in my quest to make the Australian Paralympic Skiing team? Only faith in doing what I believe is correct will guide me. Only time will tell.

Well it is time to double check everything, get a bite to eat, spend my last few moments in Sydney with my loved one and then the journey begins. Fingers crossed!

(Oh and my toe is now ok! Still a little sore but should be no worries! Phew!)

No comments: