Friday, January 12, 2007

how it started, methods.

Asking my leading global custodian employer :-P for sponsorship money only seemed natural. In the end it was kind of really easy. With a really cool boss who almost acted like my lawyer in the initial negotiations..."what about a corporate credit card? business class?"....anyway so the paid for my ski guide, my accommodation and food and my ski pass. I am going to buy a couple of pairs of skis and boots over there and I will get them to pay for that too, Kind of really strange when things work right.

I am almost a bit defensive about the whole thing because I feel like I owe it to my employer to give it my best shot. Although in reality, I know and I am confident I will do my best, it is just that little bit extra making me try extra hard. Its funny, trying hard to ski! How could I not love it! Getting paid to ski! Who would have thought?!

Anyway so i started getting fit. Probably the first time in a long long time. Actually yes, the very first time in a long, long time. The best thing about it has been that I planned it pretty well. I knew the focus would be on balance and core strength. Because my eyes and hears arent crash hot I have a little trouble with balance. Most of the time the problem comes down to not being aware of your surroundings.

It therefore was a matter of focus. To cope with an obvious disability I chose to make a game out of it. If I tried hard enough, there was a solution to every problem. And the problems that did arise werent really a problem anyway because I was getting paid to ski!

From the time I organised the trip, which was late September, early October, I decided to get a personal trainer. I wisely choose to spend the month before getting prepared with a little warm up but by November I had hooked up with a personal trainer at the local gym. The main focus was on lunges, sqwats, with weights and medicine balls, with the chest held high. There was a lot of back work, lifting, pulling and heaving together with adomenal and back work on the fit ball, and just a little upper body strength work.

Before every session three or four times a week I warmed up for half an hour, using a routine that I devised from a helpful chart on the wall adding extra things as I learnt them from my personal trainer. I powered walked home exhausted after each hour and half sessions. The ocean breeze from Bondi a great way to finish off, but I was always thinking about the snow, and the crisp clean impressions, the swish sound of squeeky powder, and the smile it brings on my face everytime.

No comments: