Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Greetings and Introduction

Howdy All,

My name is Ben. I have always skied and loved the snow. My very first memory is of a family trip to Thredbo in Australia where I got so sick I nearly died. In nearly thirty years nothing much has changed. I will always be challenged. That is my life. This is the story of that life.

At around twenty years old some strange things started happening to me. I became less confident in the dark. I started having car crashes. I even started avoiding some social situations because of a lack of confidence in my own abilities.

It took some time for a correct diagnosis; in the end I was told I suffered from a rare form of retinitis pigmentosa called Usher's Syndrome. Usher's is characterised by congential deafness and a degenerative loss (tautological?) of peripheral vision (often called tunnel vision).

Needless to say I was heartbroken. At the time I thought it was the end of my life as I knew it.

Now at twenty ninc years old and after four years of 'knowing" things have completely turned around. I have met a beautiful lass named Fleur who is soon to be my wife. We have a great home and a funny dog. I hold a pretty decent job and I am known and respected in the industry for my hardworking nature. Most importantly, I am the happiest I have ever been in my whole life.

I also recently was told my loss of vision qualified me for the category B2 division of the Paralympics. My goal is to make the 2010 Paralympic Games in Whistler Canada and represent the greatest country on earth, Orstraya.

This blog is the story of that goal. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ups and downs which dreams are made of.

3 comments:

WestieandProud said...

Hey Ben ,

Hope your chargin hard and kicking ass doin the aussies proud drinking and smoking em all under the table .

Leon

Friely said...

Onya Benjy! I am jealous already... keep the updates coming, and watch out for those icy sections.

Matt.

Victoria said...

Hi Benji,

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time... That's great. Enjoy your exciting adventure and we all look forward to seeing you back here...

Buona Fortuna!

Victoria