Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Picking it up and the legend that is Scott Adams

today was THE best! It just keeps on getting better. 120 cms of fresh in two days. This morning was on the third chair up. My guide took me to the boundary where we made fresh tracks. This was my first time ever. Knee to waist high. Was very challenging at first, didnt know how to do it. By the end of the first run I was turning pretty well.

Next on the agenda was some synch training for racing.This is where I follow my guide as close as possible replicating every single one of his moves. Scott is a champion skier and by lunchtime we had a good rythm.

After lunch we synched twice more, and then started some carving drills. This was for the super g and downhill races where turning is more gradual and slower but the pace is at top speed. I wasnt bending my knees and simultaneously counter rotating at the beginning, but by the second run my tracks were perfectly rounded and my stance exactly right.

We finished the day off synch carving which was the highlight after the powder. At one point Scott said lets go as hard as we can and I was on his tail the whole way! I even shouted at him to hurry up! He mentioned that if I try hard enough, the sky is the limit for me! How good is that?

So for now it is heads down bums up hardcore training. Hopefully I can do a couple of regional comps so I can get enough WorldCup points. Once I have proven myself in the world cup then I am sure to make the australian team. Its funny because everyone rates the world cup over the paralympics, but I just want to ski the paralympics for some reason.

The australian team is here with their head coach Steve Graham for the Kimberley Disabled World Cup which starts tommorrow.Super G is the first race. Cant wait! Met some blind B1 and B2 Italians today, but they didnt speak much English. Once again the sit down skiers blew me away, they go so fast I sometimes have to pinch myself to believe what I am seeing.

For now its dinner, a little tuning on some GS's I have been lent, and an early night.

Woohoooo! Having the time of my life.....

1 comment:

Ally said...

Hi Benski, We are so excited for you! It sounds like you are having a blast. Selfishly we are crossing our fingers for you because it means a ski trip for us to Canada in 2010!. Josh and I wish we were there skiing with you (or trailing in your wake). Chrissy D is off to Japan in the next few days to do the whole skiing thing there. I am feeling reallyleft out. Sambo is coming down to Sydney this long weekend for a girls weekend. Look out! I can forsee some shouting! The big day out has tried to ban the wearing of the Australian flag, causing national outrage, amanda vanstone has been sacked as immigration minister, and a man was eaten head first by a shark at Eden and survived. Oh Yeh, Iggy is filming his second commercial today. Love you! Ally