Friday, February 2, 2007

Sun is Shining, Kicking On

Today was one of those days one repeatedly thanks the gods for being alive. The sun was out at full force, the snow was crisp but still powdery, the skiing was fluid, dynamic and like poetry in motion (if I do say so myself).

Woke up to clear skies and a brisk temp of minus twenty. I didnt really feel this as it was a sunny day. I was hankering to make some improvements and by 9.30 had done three runs (chairlift dudes let me go up before the official opening time!).

My guide Scott is away with the local rugrats at a race meet in Red Mountain. So it was pretty much a free skiing day. Instead of a guide, I simply followed the other people in our group. For one or two runs I got a few pointers from our assistant coach Graham, and instead of getting tuition all day I decided to focus on simple techniques such as pole planting correctly and a wider stance.

Since my mental battle was won, and I was in a better frame of mind to improve, I really noticed the fluidity in my movement and a sweet style developing from keeping my arms out in front. Although this at first is anything but steezy (cheesy style), once the motion is perfected it really looks great. It is funny when you know you look good skiing, but part of me is a bit peed off at being so fixated on appearance. All in all I believe a good style will in turn develop into good techniques through a build up in confidence which allows you to attempt different approaches.

In the afternoon three of us tried this run called Magma. It is the steepest run in Kimberley, a black diamond, usually ungroomed, but with no bumps or moguls. The run isnt usually groomed because it is so steep it takes two grooming machines to complete the run. One tows or winches the other grooming machine from the top of the run because it is so steep they are prone to slipping. And these grooming machines are a quarter of a million dollars each so to groom this run is a rare occurence.

The run was absolutely phenomenal. The pitch is so steep that if you fall, you slide right to the bottom of the run as it is impossible to slow down. Luckily I didnt fall. I really nailed this run, my body faced downhill the whole run, I leaned downhill and wasnt wimpish enough to lean back into the mountain (which is a normal instinctual response for the body as you are going so fast). I didnt realise that I had passed the others and was waiting for them at the bottom of the run. It took them five minutes or so to finish. I had done it in about thirty seconds. They were all over the shop, leaning into the mountain, rotating their bodies to move the skis (a big no no) and skidding their skis instead of parrallel turning.

My confidence really grew after that run but I decided not to tempt fate anymore that day and stuck to the main run to practice high speed quick turns. Low and behold success! I really nailed the main run. At the bar at the end of the day the locals were really impressed, they had seen me from the chairlift that goes right over the main run. That for me is the biggest compliment.

Actually I lied. I did tempt fate one more time. I went into the jump park. There are a series of jumps, small, medium and large. I decided to give the small jump a shot. Thinking it was not going to give me much air (it is a small jump afterall) I picked up alot of speed coming off the launch. I flew about fifteen feet long and about five to seven feet high. I slammed down onto the landing with such a shock I thought I was deadmeat. But I just kept on going. I skidded to a stop and the snowboarders hanging around went "whoa man that was sick, and you're the blind dude arent you?". I just smiled and skied off. That too was highly satisfying although I cant stand those snowboarding punks.

Anyways a successful day after a few bad ones. Progress on track. Keep on improving and the world is mine!

No comments: