Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Cabin Fever

So it has been four days since I last went up for a ski because of my sickness. I said to a fellow trainer at the commencement of our course that there are only three things that would stop me from skiing (1) serious injury (2) serious hangover or (3) serious sickness. I never thought I would actually have to invoke this!

So cabin fever reached its highest pitch last night. Tossing and turning. Couldnt sleep. Thoughts racing through my mind.

Woke up and said to myself, "this is it, I cannot stay another day in bed or I will simply go insane". I was again mildly better, so I decided to tempt fate and go up the mountain.

Put my left ski boot on my right foot and couldnt work out why it felt so weird for about ten minutes. First mistake. Should have given up then!

It was minus 10 outside. Second mistake. My hands were frozen in the car ride up to the mountain. Wasnt looking promising.

On the chairlift up, about two minutes into the ride (probably about a quarter of the way up) the fog hit. Third mistake. The fog was the thickest and cloudiest for Kimberley this year. It went right to the summitt too.

Skied down my favourite run midnight. Couldnt see a thing. Was snowploughing, rotating, and I had slight vertigo. Couldnt work out up or down, left or right. I was basically skiing like a fool. It was lucky I got to the bottom of the mountain unscathed.

Went and had a coffee. Waited for Scott my guide to show up. About half an hour later I saw him at the chairlift. No course was going to be set up today as it was too foggy so everyone was going to go on a tour of the secret spots around the mountain. I thought what a great idea. BIG MISTAKE AGAIN!

Half way up the mountain when I met the fog again I realised my mistake and skied back down the main run alone following the chairlift line so I wouldnt get lost (yes it was that bad). The vertigo hit me again and I realised that I was too sick to ski. And my foot was frozen again.

So I came back down and waited for lunch. After lunch I came back home for some rest and hopefully I will feel alot better tommorrow.

The trials and tribulations!

No comments: