Saturday, February 3, 2007

Big Holes, More Snow And Fluid Skiing

Another normal day.

My guide is still away so I stuck with the rest of the group. In the morning we focussed on jump turning. This is where the majority of the turn is done in the air in a jump like motion. The jump turn is used in bumpy or mogul like runs. I picked it up pretty quick as I had previously felt the "popping" sensation that occurs from holding an edge into a turn and releasing the edge to transition into the next turn. One drill was where we did not actually ski any of the run, but simply jumped (on our skis) from left to right all the way down the run. Not only is this physically exhausting it is a great way to warm up. And at -8 degrees with poor visibility and snow flurries warming up is pretty much the only thing one can think about.

After lunch we applied the jump turning to mogul runs (we were previously doing it on groomed tracks). The visibility was poor to begin with, and a part of mogul skiing is turning at the top of each bump. I couldnt see anything but white snow, no undulations, no up or down, nothing but plain white. This obviously posed a problem and I told coach such. But as I did so a smile went across his face. Feeling pissed off because I felt like he was wasting my time I heard him say turn around. Sure enough when I did, I noticed that the clouds were gone and the sun had come out. I could now see every single bump! I ended up ripping the double black diamond (hardest) run up big time. For the first time in my life, I really enjoyed skiing moguls.

On the way to the mogul course our coach decided to take me tree skiing. Not the best idea for the blind, and indeed I was a little apprehensive at first, remembering my brother telling me not to do it, but nonetheless I trusted my coach. We ended up blasting this tree run. The trees were really far apart so it wasnt a big deal but still that is something I wouldnt normally do. My trust for my coach grew and without being cocky, I felt a little bit more confident.

We headed back to the trail that takes you to the base of the chairlift that takes you back to the main run. This trail is in the shadows, and because I cannot see the edges of the trail (it is predominately flat) I usually follow someone. But everyone flew off in front of me and the person taking the rear didnt see me ski into this massive huge hole. I mean it was huge, a six foot drop into another four foot of powder. No one could see me from the trail and I thought I was a goner. I was able to take off my skis but wondered how I was going to get out. I realised that behind me the snow sloped upwards. I kind of had to climb it without applying pressure, because if I did, all the snow would collapse back into the gaping big hole. I mean the hole was so big I thought a grizzly bear might be there, I was freakin out big time! I didnt want to be eaten alive! I was able to get half way up the hole and started waving my ski around. Luckily someone skiing this secluded trail saw my ski. She was able to take my skis and poles and haul me up with her pole. We both looked back down at the hole and realised it was a major risk hazard. I took a branch from a nearby tree and made a cross to indicate to the public not to go there. When I finally made it to the chairlift my skiing buddies had also freaked out and a lifty was about to get a snow mobile to rescue me. Anyway I told the lifty about the hole and the cross I put above it and he promised to put a barrier there for the general public.

So luckily I wasnt hurt or injured. To celebrate, I went off a jump back on the main run and landed awkwardly on my hand. Didnt notice till a couple of hours later how swollen it is. Not that bad but funny how the things you worry about are really nothing, but the things you dont are actually the ones that affect you.

Tonight is the local ice hockey game. A sleep in tommorrow to 10am (it is Sunday!) and freeskiing all day! Woohoo! Bumps for me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You must be tired mate. Enjoy your sleep in. What email address do I use to contact you?

Keep it up champ.

Mickael